How to Stay Motivated to Workout
Something I am asked frequently online is ‘How do you stay so motivated to workout?’
It’s great when we find ourselves in a regular routine of going to the gym, getting out for a run or attending workout classes, but it can be easy falling off track by simply going on holiday, going through a spell of illness or going through exceptionally busy periods at work.
I would love to share with you a magic formula on how to stay motivated and keep on track of a workout plan 100% of the time, but unfortunately it doesn’t exist! It’s totally normal to fall off track every now and again, and that’s why I want to share with you a few things that will help you get that motivation back to keep fit, and to start loving exercise again.
1. Positivity A positive mindset is key when aiming to exercise regularly. If you associate working out as being a chore, you will end up despising it, dread going and end up falling out of your routine. This is the total opposite of what we want! Think of how great you will feel after exercising, and how proud of yourself you will be. Focusing on the positive aspects of exercise will make the whole experience more enjoyable, and you will actually look forward to your next workout.
“I regret that workout” – said no one ever
2. Love Yourself First Exercising is a sign of self love. When you exercise, you are doing it for YOU to make yourself feel great. From this point forward, acknowledge this love you are giving yourself and nurture it, and know that you deserve to treat your mind and body with your utmost attention, appreciation and respect.
“Treat Your Body Like A Temple”
3. Alternate Workouts By changing up your workouts regularly, you will stay focused and find it more exciting and interesting. Sometimes we figure out a routine at the gym that we feel comfortable with – this is great if it makes us feel more confident doing it, however we can fall into a rut and end up finding it boring, which is when we can start lacking in motivation to keep going back. I try to mix up my workouts every single time to keep it new and exciting. An example week looks like this:
Monday – Boxing at Kobox
Tuesday – Lower body workout at Virgin Active
Wednesday – Rest
Thursday – 20 minute Body Coach HIIT workout at home
Friday -Vinyasa Yoga at my local yoga studio
Saturday – 8km run along the River Thames
Sunday – Long walks around London
4. Try Something New There are so many different ways to workout! The gym definitely isn’t for everyone, and what works for one person will not be the same for another. It’s all about finding your thing. If you go to the gym and realise it’s not for you, don’t give up – it’s the gym that’s not for you, not the exercise. Try something new by getting outside and running or cycling, or try some workout classes like boxing, pilates, spin or crossfit. There are even a huge variety of alternative workouts out there such as aerial yoga, trampolining and paddle boarding! Don’t forget you don’t have to spend money to exercise – looking after your body doesn’t have to be expensive. I love finding workouts on YouTube to follow along to at home and some classes are free like in the Sweaty Betty stores and the Nike Run Club. There really is something for everyone.
5. Look The Part I believe that when we feel we look great, we’re more motivated to get out there and train. It’s all about confidence and if we have something awesome to wear at the gym, we’re more likely to look forward to going. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we all need to go out and splash the cash on all the latest gear every single month, but freshening up your activewear a little bit can really help to get that boost we need sometimes. You may even find a perfect crop top at the back of your wardrobe that would be perfect to wear to the gym! I also need to make it very clear that this is not about what other people think of you – this is about how YOU feel, not them.
Here I am wearing a sports bra and leggings set by Bodyism with a pair of
Photography by Charlie Sawyer.
*I receive a % of revenue from links with an asterisk next to them.
Staying Present This Autumn
Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn. It kind of pains me to say that! I’m such a Summer person, and although I can hardly complain after having
Doughnut Judge Me
Is there anything better than a delicious doughnut? Yes, a vegan one! Doughnut judge me. Since turning plant-based I have struggled to find a decent
Plant-Based Cherry Ice Cream with Salted Caramel
I recently filmed a Facebook Live with Feelunique to round off their Earth Month series #EarthMonthLIVE, where I made a healthy Cherry Ice
Notting Hill | A Londoners Guide
I have been a Londoner for nearly four years now, and I can safely say I feel like I know this city pretty well. It
How I’m Wearing Stripes
It’s official – stripes are a thing this year. There is something so chic and effortless about a simple striped T-Shirt with jeans and a